Wednesday, July 18, 2012

CSA Box... a budget tool?

3 weeks ago my boyfriend and I decided to make the plunge and subscribe to a CSA (community supported agriculture) program. We now get a weekly box of seasonal veggies. In just 3 weeks it has revolutionized my food budget. I spend 23$ a week on veggies, now I can round out the rest of my meals with quality meats and some sort of starch (potatoes come in the box too!). My weekly food budget is $100 for 2 people. So do the math, if we spend 23$ on veggies, and starches are super cheap (bread, pasta, rice), let's say we spend $20 a week on starch, that leaves us approximately  60$ a week to spend on meat! That's crazy! In reality, we don't spend $60 a week on meat. But we do eat out once a few times a week.

So, this subscription vegetable service supports the local economy, reduces waste (gas for delivery truck, packaging for food), and saves ME MONEY. It's also exciting because you don't know what you're going to get each week. Wow. Cool.

You should do it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment